Saturday, February 21, 2015

Saturday is Haul Day 31!!


Following a weather imposed hiatus I'm back at it, this week was a pretty big week, so without further delay.  Here. We. Go.

Birdman directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu and starring Michael Keaton, Zach Galifianakis, Edward Norton, Andrea Riseborough, Amy Ryan, Emma Stone, and Naomi Watts.

When a has-been movie superhero (Keaton) risks everything for Broadway, he faces harsh critics, a deranged alter ego, his estranged daughter (Emma Stone) and a difficult stage star (Edward Norton).

I'm excited to see this movie, not just because of the critical acclaim it's received, because it's shot as if everything happens in one continuous take.  I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, the longer a take the better as far as I'm concerned.  It's like the anti-Boyhood of this award season, and has me very interested.

Game of Thrones:  Season Four also came out this week, and I know what you're saying.  You've seen it, you have HBO and HBOGo, why own the show on disc as well?  First, there's no good way to watch HBOGo on our TV, the PS4 still doesn't have an app for it as far as I've seen.  Second, I like having it, and I like being able to bring it with me to people who haven't seen the show, or loan it out to people who are behind on it.

Shadows Over Camelot is a tabletop game from Days of Wonder, created by Serge Laget and Bruno Cathala.  Obviously it's based on the Arthurian legends, but the most fun part to me is the possibility of a traitor.  For the most part it's a cooperative game, but depending on draws at the beginning of the game there's the chance that one of the knights is actually opposing the other Knights of the Round Table.  It's a great way to bring more excitement to a cooperative game and I can't wait to get a few people into it.

I've heard the mixed reviews for The Order:  1886, it's hard to avoid them if you pay attention to the gaming community at all.  Despite that I've decided to give it a try.  Besides looking absolutely gorgeous, sometimes there's nothing wrong with playing an interactive story.  If there was something wrong with that use of a gaming platform then Tell Tale games would be out of business.  Sure the price tag for The Order is a little steeper, so I'll just have to wait and see if the expense was worth it.

Wrapping things up this week, like always, are the comic books.  This week brought us:  The Kitchen #4 by Ollie Masters, Ming Doyle and Jordie Bellaire, Moon Knight #12 by Brian Wood, Greg Smallwood, and Jordie Bellaire, Rocket Raccoon #8 by Skottie Young, Filipe Andrade and Jean-Francois Beaulieu, and She-Hulk #12 by Charles Soule, Javier Pulido, and Munsta Vincente, which is sadly the final issue of the title.  I also tracked down some Hellblazer back issues.  Issues #25 and #26 by Grant Morrison and David Lloyd, and issues #286-288 by Peter Milligan, Giuseppe Camuncoli, and Stefano Landini.

No comments:

Post a Comment