Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Doctor Who: Season 8, Episode 1







Doctor Who
Episode: “Deep Breath”
Channel: BBC
Director: Ben Wheatley
Writer: Steven Moffat
Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Sci-Fi
Runtime: 79 min
Rated: TV-PG
Original Air Date: August 23, 2014

Peter Capaldi is going to be a good Doctor. He exhibited the manic energy that fans have come to love from previous incarnations, and also a serious side that has only been touched on before. This introduction to the new Doctor started off a touch on the silly side, and honestly had my close to frustration, before finding its footing and taking off. There's already a mystery hinted at that I'm very interested in seeing how the pieces fit together.

I do question the decision for a little guest appearance near the end of the episode. In Capaldi's first full episode he shouldn't be sharing the screen in that way. I understand why it was there for the narrative, but it didn't feel quite right to me. It didn't detract from the episode, but it was a little jarring.

If the ending was intended to setup this season's 'big bad' it did a good job. She seems like a down right creepy villain. I'm not a die-hard, seen every episode multiple times, fan; so I'm going to have to go back through the catalog and see if I can place some of the references to previous events.

Conclusion: Peter Capaldi showed what he can bring to the Doctor, and I think it's going to be a success. Aside from a couple of stumbles this was a solid way to begin his tenure. Stephen Moffat dropped various tidbits throughout this episode that will keep me watching from week to week. I think there will be some entertaining debate as to whether or not the Doctor did what he might have done.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment