Monday, August 25, 2014

The Leftovers: Season 1, Episode 9


The Leftovers
Episode Title: “The Garveys at Their Best”
Channel: HBO
Director: Daniel Sackheim
Writers: Damon Lindelof and Kath Lingenfelter
Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Mystery
Runtime: 60 min
Rated: TV-MA
Original Air Date: August 24, 2014

I'll be honest. I hate it when you're watching a show, and you know that the story is headed into a pivotal moment for all of the characters, and the storyline gets sidetracked by a flashback or one-off story. So within the first five minutes of “The Garveys at Their Best” I was ready to be irritated. While it's still not a feeling that I'll have overcome completely, this week's episode did show me that there is a right way to do this kind of episode.

The only major detail I'll give away is that now we have some insight into the way the characters we've come to know were before the disappearance. Kevin Jr. was unlikable even then, and now maybe more unlikable due to having more of the story. Kevin Jr. and Laurie are both hit with the worst scenarios I could imagine in that situation, giving us insight into why they are like they are today. The Garvey children weren't much like the characters we've gotten to know, and it was kind of refreshing to see that.

I believe the goal of this episode was really to prepare the audience for the Remnant's coming stunt. If they're preparing to do what all the signs are pointing to then the audience definitely needed to see those that were left behind interacting with their departed loved ones. It should make the emotions I imagine the next episode is intended to impart much more vivid.

Conclusion: A well executed episode of a type that I'm usually against. “The Garveys at Their Best” provides what I think will be important information to the audience going into the season finale.

Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment