Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Strain: Season 1, Episode 4


The Strain
Episode Title: "It's Not for Everyone"
Channel: FX
Director: Keith Gordon
Writer: Regina Corrado
Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi, Horror
Runtime: 60 min
Rated: TV-MA
Original Air Date: August 3, 2014

This episode definitely had its good and its bad moments. It picks up right where the previous episode left off with Eph and his team having found and dispatched Captain Redfern. Astin's Jim Kent puts himself in a bad situation with the team. The bad guys' plan is proceeding to the next level, hiring more outside help for their cause.

There are a couple of characters that take actions that seem counter to their stated intentions/beliefs. Gus and Ann-Marie Barbour, I'm looking at you. Eldritch Palmer seems to be doubting the sincerity of his allies. Near the end Mr. Setrakian takes the field and we see him in action. Eph seems to have already accepted what needs to be done, but Dr. Martinez isn't so sure and makes her displeasure known.

The “Alien Autopsy”-esque scene was fun. My main concern is that there still seems to be superfluous stuff going on in the script. It's hard to judge that for certain before we have a finished product, but that's the way it feels. Gus in particular has talked about his outlook and intentions previously, yet in this episode we see him doing something that seems contrary to that purpose. I'm hoping that it'll make sense by the end. Of the choices presented to us so far, Keith Gordon's direction has been the strongest. That doesn't mean I think he's a better director than Del Toro, just that his style may be better suited for the small screen.

Conclusion: Baby steps in the right direction. I don't know if the acting has gotten better, or if I'm just getting used to the way the performances are going to be, but it didn't seem as jarring as some of the earlier episodes. I'm curious to see how the newest phase of the villainous plan fits in with the rest.

Rating: 7/10

4 comments:

  1. I saw this show's commercials a few times and thought it looked interesting. Not sure if I'll watch it though, especially since I'm already watching like five shows! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! The show shows some promise, and appears to be finding its own identity. I know what you mean about too many shows, this fall I'm going to be a TV watching fool with Arrow, The Flash, Gotham and Constantine heading our way.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the Little Shop of Horrors scene, feeding the neighbor to the husband. "Feed me Anne-Marie"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I didn't even think of that scene that way, but that's perfect. I felt like it was a little out of character for her, one minute beseeching the virgin mother for protection, the next, feeding the neighbor to monster.

      Delete