Saturday, July 26, 2014

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition



Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Publisher: SquareEnix
Developer:  Crystal Dynamics
Players: One
Genre: Action-Adventure
Distribution: Optical Disc, Download
Platform: Playstation 4
Release Date: January 28, 2014

Lara Croft is back and getting the reboot treatment. A character that has been around since the original Tomb Raider, released in 1996, gets a much needed overhaul. I hadn't played a Tomb Raider game since that 1996 release, so I didn't come into this game as jaded as some players who had suffered through incarnations of varying quality. I'll also state up-front that I ignored the multiplayer. To me this is a single player game, it doesn't need multiplayer and I won't humor a studio tacking multiplayer onto the game in order to add 'value' to a game that doesn't need it. Focus on the single player campaign and make it the best you can, please. Judging from some of the things I've read about the multiplayer modes, I didn't miss much.

With that out of the way, this was the perfect reintroduction of Lara Croft into the gaming consciousness. We get to find out what kind of crucible the badass that we've come to know was forged in, and wow. First of all, Yamatai, the setting for the game, is gorgeous and there are tons of environments for you to work your way through. Each one feels different than the previous ones, you never have that feeling of “Really? Another jungle scene?” The enemies populating said environments don't feel like they're just waiting to be killed, they perform tasks and have conversations, there are a few instances where they are stupid though. Four guys would never run straight at a person pumping shotgun shells into them across open ground, but hey, I was low on ammo and didn't mind.


The 'tombs' you raid consist of an isolated area with a puzzle of some sort. The puzzles are fun to solve without being 'throw your controller across the room' frustrating, and were always one of the things I looked for when entering a new area. It's possible to play through the game without pouring over the map looking for the last collectibles and get a fairly high completion percentage; which was nice as I hate backtracking for that last audio log/idol/map/etc.

Plotwise the game more than does the job, we get an origin story and a believable way for Lara to expand on her skillset. The secondary characters are generally all right, none really stand out, but I also never wished for a command to throw one from a cliff. Camilla Luddington does a great job voicing our heroine and I hope she sticks around for the forthcoming sequel. I was very pleased with the length of the game, it never plodded and it lasted long enough that it felt like I got my money's worth.

Conclusion: A reboot done right, it has me waiting anxiously for the next installment. With the comic series written by Gail Simone continuing the story I'll have a way to get my Lara Croft fix in between, but when the sequel's release date is officially announced I'll be on my way to pre-order it. I can't wait to see what's in store for everyone's favorite raider of tombs.

Rating: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment